Jeremy Gutow is a Cleveland-based male nanny and private chef. He also manages a beauty salon.

Monday, September 2, 2013

On Increasing Body Weight Without Consuming More Fat

     Page One Hundred-Thirty-One.
     This morning, at the beauty salon, I mentioned to one of our clients my work with food. After telling her some of my experiences, she asked me for some advice. Her question kind of threw me for a moment "cause it's precisely opposite of the types of things so many people ask.
     "Jeremy, Let me tell you something. My husband recently had open-heart surgery. He's lost twenty-five pounds since they cut him open and the problem is, he really can't afford to loose that weight. He's always been a little bit too slender and the doctors want me to put the pounds back on him. And, I'm not a cook. I never  learned how or was interested. What can I do to increase his weight but not with fatty foods, because that's what he's not allowed to eat. And, how can I do it simply, because I can't cook?"
     "Whew." I thought to myself. That's a new one. What little fat he has consumed during the last seventy year went straight to his arteries. So, I thought for a moment. "Does he have diabetes?"
     "No.It's just fat that he's not allowed."
     "How about salt?"
     "His doctors said he can have that too."
     "Dose he like fruit?"
     "Yes."
     "Good. Start making him lots of fruit plates and sprinkle some powdered sugar on the fruit. You actually can increase the calories without increasing fat. Also, does he like breads and rolls "
     "Not a lot. But he'll eat those things if I serve them."
     "Good. Give him some rolls with his dinner every night and give him some dipping oil made with olive oil. He's allowed olive oil, right?"
     "Yes."
     "Good. Then just pour some oil into a dish, like they do in fancy restaurants. Then sprinkle on some Lawry's seasoned salt and mix it for a second. Also, give him lots of starchy vegetables like potatoes, beans and corn. You won't put the weight back on him overnight. It'll take some time, many months. But you can do it." (I gave her this blog address too. So Sara, if you're reading this right now, add rice and pasta to that list.)
     She was quite appreciative of my suggestions. I wish him, and her, positive health in their future.  

No comments:

Post a Comment