Jeremy Gutow is a Cleveland-based male nanny and private chef. He also manages a beauty salon.

Friday, September 6, 2013

Tomato-Pepperoni Soup

     Page One Hundred Thirty-Three.
     So, I'm still dog-sitting Archie the dog. One week down, two to go. The tomatoes in the backyard are taking over the city and I'm trying to eat them or give them away as fast as I can, but there are just sooooo many of them I finally had to get serious.
     I picked all the ripe Roma (plum) tomatoes and cooked them up, or cooked them down, however you want to phrase it.
     I sauteed some carrots, onions, celery, garlic, parsnips and red pepper. Simultaneously, I parboiled and peeled the tomatoes. I then added the peeled tomatoes to the vegetables, then put in some some pepper, basil, oregano, sage, thyme, bay leaf, anchovy pates, beef concentrate and sliced pepperoni. That all cooked for a long time. Then, I removed all the vegetables, leaving in the pepperoni and viola! tomato-pepperoni soup. It was just about one of the best things I've ever eaten. It's basically just pepperoni pizza minus the dough and cheese. In fact, if eaten with some cheesy focaccia bread, the mouth experience would probably be quite similar to pizza. But this was substantially reduced fat. And it was just too tasty to be true.

No comments:

Post a Comment