Jeremy Gutow is a Cleveland-based male nanny and private chef. He also manages a beauty salon.

Friday, March 7, 2014

Split Pea Soup

     Page One Hundred Ninety-Three.
     Last autumn, I was going through a thing where I was really craving ribs. I mean, a lot. Well, I steam my ribs. Meaning: I put them on a rack in a pan, put some water in the bottom, add spices to the ribs, wrap aluminum foil tightly around and pop into the oven on low heat for ever. The meat ends up just dripping from the bone and is as tender as all get out.
     Well, I used the same water repeatedly. In between the 4 or 5 batches of ribs over the course of a few months, I simply froze the de-fatted water, then thawed as needed. This water became the base for a vat of split pea soup that I cooked yesterday and ate last night.
     The soup was heavenly. Try this method sometime. I'm just suggesting...  

No comments:

Post a Comment