Jeremy Gutow is a Cleveland-based male nanny and private chef. He also manages a beauty salon.

Thursday, March 20, 2014

Purim, 2014 - An Update

     Page Two Hundred-Two.
     A couple of evenings ago, I went to Purim service. Here's what I saw. 
     The Rabbi was dressed up as the Wicked Witch of the West. (This, while standing on the pulpit, reading from the Torah.) The Cantor was dressed as a striped convict because he'd been "jailed" by the synagogue's chapter of USY (United Synagogue Youth - the national youth movement of the Conservative Judaism denomination). Seems the only way to get him released was if congregants bought enough fund-raising raffle tickets from USY; they interrupted the service with this announcement. There were also 40-50 heavily costumed children running around the pulpit during this religious service; then, another few hundred made-up children and adults sitting in the sanctuary. I was among the couple of hundred who weren't dressed up at all.
     My favorite children's costume was the kid who looked like a cross between Marvin the Martian and Daft Punk. My favorite adult was dressed as an ancient Pharaoh. I don't know if any non-Jews would get the irony of a Pharaoh attending any Jewish religious function, but it's completely over the top.
     After the service ended, the party began. The band was good which they always are. But, I didn't stay a long time, just long enough to eat 2 Hamantaschen. I'm not sure where they were purchased, but they weren't my favorite. I ate 'em though, 2 of 'em, in fact. Don't get me wrong. But I didn't love 'em.
     I didn't go to the carnival the next afternoon. Instead, I went and visited an elderly couple I'm friends with. She's 93 and he's 97. I brought them some Hamantaschen and we talked and ate and talked and ate some more.
     One of these days, I should figure out how to do homemade Hamantachen. It just can't be too difficult. I've made bread lots of times and Hamantaschen is simply a sweet dough similar to a Danish breakfast pastry, plus pie filling. One of these days...

No comments:

Post a Comment