Jeremy Gutow is a Cleveland-based male nanny and private chef. He also manages a beauty salon.

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

On Getting A Haircut At A Barber School

     Page Two Hundred Five.
     I go to a barber school to get my haircut. I know that may sound weird considering the fact that I manage a beauty salon. You'd figure I'd get my haircut right at work. But many years ago I worked at a salon which was recognized by Clairol International as being one of the 3 finest salons in Northeast Ohio. While there, all my co-workers and I were encouraged to go elsewhere to have our hair done. The thinking was, observe how much better we are than our competition and if you do see something they do better, we should know about it.
     I still live by that rule. It makes sense. And by going to a school, I get to practice my interpersonal communication skills. The vast majority of all problems in a beauty salon can be traced back to poor communication between client and stylist. Either the client didn't explain properly what was desired or the hairdresser wasn't listening properly. By going to a school I'm constantly getting somebody new; someone who's never done my hair before. I have to start from scratch each time. It keeps me on my toes and aware of the importance of language so I can be more objective on my job.
     I never tell them that I'm a hairdresser going on 33 years, beauty salon manager or licensed cosmetology instructor. That would intimidate them waaaaaay to much. They only know that I'm a private chef (who's currently unemployed). I typically get a haircut which is either perfectly correct or very close. And let me tell you, some of those students are fresh and new. I've been one of the first haircuts a couple of them ever gave.
     As long as I explain properly, as long as they listen properly, I'm not too concerned about technical ability. I'd suggest to anybody that they be very aware of how they explain themselves when in a beauty salon or barber shop. Words are so important there.

No comments:

Post a Comment