Jeremy Gutow is a Cleveland-based male nanny and private chef. He also manages a beauty salon.

Sunday, March 16, 2014

Chicken Soup Weather

     Page One Hundred Ninety-Nine.
     I recently received a text from an acquaintance. It reads: "It's almost that Chicken Soup time of year. Hope all is well". You should know that it was blizzarding outside and it was chicken soup weather if ever there was any when I received this text. But still, this is what my friends think of me: a chicken soup delivery service.
     This buddy is not a close friend, but he's pleasant enough. About a year ago, he was reminiscing to me about his long-dead mother's chicken soup. He actually did remember some of the ingredients she used. (She added turnips to her soup which is just slightly non-traditional.) So I experimented and a few weeks later when I knew I would see this fellow again, I brought him a quart of what I thought would remind him of dear old Mom's. He loved it. Ever since, he's been bringing it up. I'm glad that I was able to help him relive a dear memory of Mom.
     It really is so easy to do for others, even if it's little things. (Though nobody will ever convince me that making chicken soup from scratch is little.)

No comments:

Post a Comment