Jeremy Gutow is a Cleveland-based male nanny and private chef. He also manages a beauty salon.

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Bra Shopping

     Page One Hundred Ninety-One.
     Would you like to hear a charming Women's Story? I don't know why I've been thinking about this old, family story lately, but I have.
     I'm the youngest of five kids, 2 girls and 3 boys. Now-a-days, we're all in our 50's and 60's. This story takes place in the 1970's when we were a smidgen younger than we are today. My sister Louise, who's the oldest child, was a bit non-centered at the time. My other sister, Lee, who's the next youngest before me, was born to be in charge of everything. So one day Lee went to buy some new bras. I guess her old ones wore out or whatever happens to bras when they get elderly. Now, she usually bought Louise her bras also. I'm not sure how this pattern established itself, but it did. In fact, Lee actually knew what size and style Louise wore, better than Louise did. (It just made sense as Lee was the one who always did Louise's bra shopping.) So when she went to the cash register at The May Company to pay, the sales lady inquired, out of curiosity, why she was purchasing 2 different sizes. "I always buy bras for my sister whenever I get some for myself. She not real good at picking out bras for herself."
     "Well aren't you a wonderful big sister?"
     "Actually, my sister is 6 years older than I am."
     According to Lee, the sales lady's expression was priceless. It was a mix of incredulity, curiosity and amazement. What's wrong... hadn't she ever sold bras to a hippy's little sister before?

No comments:

Post a Comment