Jeremy Gutow is a Cleveland-based male nanny and private chef. He also manages a beauty salon.

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

The Trick To Great Pound Cake

     Page Sixty-Nine.
     I was at Valley Forge as the Revolution seemed to be decaying. George Washington was telling me his problems and wasn't certain that the ragtag group of soldiers could withstand the British onslaught. It really was bitterly cold and we were all desperately hungry.
     What angel should appear in the shadows of night bringing us desperately needed food? None other than Julie Andrews. She'd been with some of the folks who'd been cooking for us. Nobody had much food, but everybody shared what they had. Their care packages were tremendously appreciated and delicious, too.
     Actually, there was so much food, we really had a feast. Here are some of the items that stick in my memory: King Arthur contributed more than enough escargot for everybody in the camp; Heathcliff and Cathy prepared peanut butter and jelly sandwiches; Little Lord Fauntleroy made a fantastic jello mold; and Ronald Weasley and Hermione Granger made spaghetti and meatballs. But I have to tell you that the prize really went to Winston Churchill who made the best pound cake I've ever had in my life. It was soooo smooth and soft. Of course it was dense and heavy as it should have been, but it was still melt in your mouth delicate. I've never had anything like it.
     He told me his secret: when you sift the ingredients, you have to sift three times. That's it. There's something about the multiple siftings that make a light but still dense cake. So that's it. Who'd ever think that I'd learn such a simple trick in the middle of such a horrible situation. I guess I never know when or how I'll learn valuable life lessons. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment