Jeremy Gutow is a Cleveland-based male nanny and private chef. He also manages a beauty salon.

Friday, May 3, 2013

What Was The Name Of That Bread?

     Page Seventy.
     When I was in college, I took a lot of art. I mean I took a LOT of art. In fact, I'm only two classes from an art degree. One of the classes I took was wood turning. The reason I took that class was because it was there. Nothing more, nothing less. And the reason it was there was because one of the art professors had gotten heavily into wood turning a few years prior and convinced Cleveland State University's art department to go out and buy a massive, state of the art lathe. So since the college owned an incredible lathe, they offered wood turning. Isn't that some nice circular logic?
     This particular professor, Mike, was famous for his sculptures and acclimated to wood turning very quickly in his home studio. He became well known in the wood world fast and during the quarter that I was training, he had a wood turner from England come and give a master class which was open to the public. The visiting turner, Bert, had things in museums; they really were quite beautiful. Also, in conjunction with the master class, there was a reception.
     I helped plan the reception in question and ended up ridiculously busy as happens when you throw a party for one hundred and fifty people. As a thank you, Bert gave me the piece the he turned in the demonstration. (When I retire, I'll sell it and postpone living on dog food for a little while longer.)
     So, the thing I remember best about the party, is some bread that another volunteer brought. This round-loafed bread was white and somewhat dense. But what was striking about it was the fact that it had veins of sweetened cream cheese running through it. It was Eastern-European in origin, I think. There was some leftover so I took it home and froze it, thawing a few slices occasionally to make myself the best French Toast I've ever experienced.
     I wish I could remember any other details about that bread, but I can't. In Cleveland, Ohio, a city widely recognized for it's fantastic ethnic foods, I'm positive that I could find it in an old world grocery store somewhere. I'm just positive. But I just don't remember anything else about it. Oh well. If this is the worse thing that haunts me, I'm doing pretty good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment