Jeremy Gutow is a Cleveland-based male nanny and private chef. He also manages a beauty salon.

Friday, May 24, 2013

What To Do Next Time or How To Fix It

     Page Seventy-Nine.
     So yesterday I served something new to the family I cook and nanny for. I made prosciutto wrapped chicken breasts stuffed with fresh mozzarella with risotto on the side (see page seventy-eight). As predicted they profoundly adored the risotto, as did I. They also liked the chicken a lot, but I didn't. I mostly made the recipe up as I was going along and I'll definitely do some things differently next time.
     Here's what I did yesterday: I split each chicken breast in half creating two thin fillets. I then put a slice of freshly cut mozzarella in the middle of each filet, wrapped the chicken around the cheese, then placed a single slice of prosciutto on top. I then secured everything with a toothpick and baked for 30 minutes at 425. It was okay, by my standards, but they loved it.
     Next time, I'll not use fresh mozzarella. It was a mess. When I took the pan out of the oven. it had so much liquid, it was crazy. It looked like I put an entire stick, or two, of butter in the pan and let it melt. Who knew that fresh mozzarella doesn't really melt? It just sort of turns to water and then leaves tiny particles of cheese flavor in it's wake? Also next time, I'll use more prosciutto. In fact, what I'm thinking is layering the ham on the chicken more heavily, then sprinkling lots of cheese on that, then rolling it like a Hostess Ho-Ho in stead of having it filled like a Chicken Kiev. Yesterday, I was aiming for a Kiev type dish. Didn't work. Though, again, it might have come closer with the right cheese. I think I'll cook it five minutes less too, but that's a minor detail. It was just a touch dry for my taste.
     Thankfully though, my employers liked it very much. The children, the parents and grandma all thought it was novel and gourmet. So there you go. I'm definitely my own worst critic.

No comments:

Post a Comment