Jeremy Gutow is a Cleveland-based male nanny and private chef. He also manages a beauty salon.

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Quito. Chapter 17. The Reunion.

     Page Two Hundred Seventy-One.
     One hour and forty-four minutes later, Quito, Wanda, the four kids, the three brothers and a few guests were sitting together in the parlor sipping blue cream soda and munching on tea sandwiches: some watercress, some egg, some asparagus, some tomato, some caviar, all gruesomely fussy and overly done. The kids were at various times crying tears of joy at his return, giggling with happiness or hugging their dog to make sure he was really there. Meanwhile, Herb Alpert was blowing his trumpet on the Victrola and THX 1138 was on the TV. (There was no sound coming from the TV. The kids just wanted the visuals of the movie for atmosphere.) Everybody was smiling with glee at Quito's safe return, trying to figure out the doggy's plan of helping the world and chatting about Wanda's dubious invention.
     "I say, old chap, Is it really you?" asked redhead Prince Harry of The British Commonwealth who had never actually met Quito in person but had skyped with him on numerous times. He was there because he'd helicoptered into Shaker Heights to help look for the lost dog but was now sitting in an original, blonde, bent-wood Eames chair, chowing down on the bread crusts which had been trimmed away from the sandwiches while they were under construction, but of which he was fond.
     "I'm so glad to be home", arfed Quito in response. He was enjoying the pumpernickel sandwiches tremendously, though he still had a taste for Chicken Marsala. He decided to make some tomorrow.
     People weren't sure how to treat Wanda. They'd listened to Quito's plan for her to help him with his mission. But, they just couldn't get over what she'd done. That bad dog had put the children through misery, fear, fright and tremendous anguish. Nobody was sure they could get over it or forgive her. And they didn't seem to care much ether, though they tried not to make her feel uncomfortable. That would be rude and mean, almost like what she'd done to them and they didn't want to respond to one mean act with another mean act. So they were polite, but still... not quite themselves.
     "I got's ta admit, I gosh darn curious 'bout this 'vention of yourn which could transpert people ta diff'rent universeses. Does ya reckon I could see 't sometom?", asked Bill Gates, another person who flew in to help and was now scarfing down Fritos and French onion dip while sitting in an over-sized burgundy-hued leather wing chair.
     "Sure", responded the collie from seven feet away. (Everyone stayed a safe distance from Bill because he was wearing way too much Old Spice after shave, which he always did.)
     "Dude, I still don't get this plan of yours to use your powers to help people. I mean it's spiffy and totally tubular alright but how will you do it?" William asked that question.
     "I'm not sure yet. But I think it's why the universe saw fit to give me these powers. I don't think I got them by accident. I think I was meant to help people and with Wanda by my side, I should be okay. I don't know how to start, exactly. But I'll worry about that tomorrow."
     It was a very pleasant reunion and the only questionable incident came about when the three brothers moved all the parlor furniture into the hall, lifted up and removed the celery green carpet which exposed the shiny, slick, maple, parquet flooring, brought the furniture back in and rearranged it, all without asking permission. But it was an improvement, so people let it slide. 
     "Well, my, my, just look at the time? I do declare, I must be on my way, but I'm so glad that you're back home, safe and sound, Quito." Beyonce then placed her plate, with bread pudding crumbs on it, onto the antique, brass and glass cocktail table and excused herself amid shows of appreciation for arriving and helping to calm the kids.
     After that, the other guests also proceeded to leave and the house gradually calmed down a bit.
                       ******************
     Some hours later, Quito tucked in and kissed the children good night. He then put out Penny, the Maine Coon cat; turned off the Victrola, now playing Beastie Boys; left a note for the milkman to leave extra cheddar cheese and barked to himself, "how will Wanda and I  help people, anyhow? Hmmm... I'll ponder that tomorrow, I guess." Our hero contemplated his own existence for a while and then curled up on the L.L. Bean, evergreen scented, brown and green plaid, corduroy dog bed with extra fluffy padding and went to sleep.
     Who knew that tomorrow would answer it's own question?
     The End.

     Coming soon... The Adventures Of Quito And Wanda.

No comments:

Post a Comment