Jeremy Gutow is a Cleveland-based male nanny and private chef. He also manages a beauty salon.

Thursday, July 24, 2014

Knute Rockne All American - A review

     Page Two Hundred Sixty-Eight.
     Guess what movie I recently watched? If you guessed 1940's Knute Rockne All American, You're correct. My review? Here goes:
     It's really pretty good. But I LOVE sports movies, just love 'em. I don't typically enjoy watching sports on TV, but in movies? Can't get enough.The reason why is because sports flicks are always and I mean ALWAYS sentimental. And as I've written before, it's impossible for anything to be too sentimental for my taste. I believe sports movies are mushy because that particular brand of goo gives stereotypical, rough and tumble sports jocks an outlet to feel and express deep emotion. But no matter. I try not to judge.
     So then you toss is Ronald Reagan uttering his famous "win one for the Gipper". Yes indeedy, this is the movie which gave us that quote. Could the 1980's have existed without that line? I honestly don't think so. Regardless of how one may feel about Reagan, he was a thoroughly unexciting and unconvincing actor, which makes this film even more charming. One thing which did surprise me though is the shortness of RR's screen time. I bet we didn't see him but for five minutes. History would have us believe that he was s true co-star, which he wasn't.
     Pat O'Brien in the lead role isn't bad, allowing for the hamminess of that era's acting style, of course. (These were the days prior to "method acting" which is what modern audiences are used to.) All in all, it really is an entertaining flick.
     My review: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment