Jeremy Gutow is a Cleveland-based male nanny and private chef. He also manages a beauty salon.

Thursday, January 30, 2014

On Studying The Book Of Job

     Page One Hundred Eighty-Two.
     I've been invited to join a monthly Bible study group. Typically, 10, 12 or so people attend this decades-long affair. It's led by a now-retired minister with another retired minister one of the attendees, along with 2 former nuns (now Protestants) and assorted husbands, wives, various tag-a-longs and now, me. I love my life. Positively adore it.
     I think I've been invited because I'm often seen as someone who brings a new or original insight to whatever spiritual or religious issue is being discusses. I suspect my Jewishness played some into the decision to invite me, but not heavily. I'm just immensely curious about the Bible and what it has to say. And, people who talk with me about religious or spiritual subjects pick up on that really fast.
     I disagree with much of the Bible's teachings and am fairly open about that. I also disagree with much of the history which is taken as Biblical fact. But I think what strikes people quickly is my knowledge. So many people who disagree with this verse or that don't really know much about the Bible itself. I do know it critically; though admittedly nowhere near as much as these retired ministers or nuns, but some. Probably more than the typical church/synagogue attending American, in fact. I'm so intensely interested in it.
     It's human nature to have issues with beliefs or attitudes which affect you negatively or disagree with the way you were raised. But that's where most people stop. They choose to get angry and then stay in the anger without speaking with those people or reading and studying the books which these people quote. I, on the other hand, was raised to believe in educated dialogue. Not debate or argument, mind you, but friendly, open and educated discourse. Subsequently, if I have an issue with, say, the occasionally held 18th and 19th century belief that slavery is sanctioned by the Bible, then I better find out all I can about the entire book and even more about those specific verses which are quoted by those believers. And this is just one example.
     So the first class I'll be attending,
The Book Of Job
in a few weeks, will be on the book of Job. I know a little about that book, but not much. I was told that's perfectly fine and not to worry about my lack of education. Well I can't help it. There's a massive over-achiever in me that won't always stay camouflaged. I've already taken down some books from my bookshelf and begun studying. That is one seriously fascinating book.
     And, maybe most importantly, dinner is included. You know those old church ladies can cook. This hostess is allegedly a magnificent cook, too. I'm not allowed to bring a thing. (They specifically told me that.)  A free Protestant meal, and all I have to do is show up and be contrary. Yum, Yum, Yum!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment