Jeremy Gutow is a Cleveland-based male nanny and private chef. He also manages a beauty salon.

Monday, July 1, 2013

World's Best Hot Dog

     Page One Hundred-Two.
     Independence Day is in a few days and that means hot dogs. What's your favorite brand of dog? For years and years, I didn't really care what kind I ate as long as it was kosher. I knew that I simply hated pork dogs, but beyond that, I didn't really have a favorite brand.
     That changed some years ago when I was working at Fancy-Schmancy Nursing Home. I was hosting an outdoor event and needed to order some raw dogs from the dietary department to grill and serve to our residents. Dietary provided me with a few packages of David Berg dogs. My life hasn't been the same since. I'd never heard of David Berg dogs prior to that but I can tell you that those things were good. I'd eventually host other outdoor events and would have more Berg dogs. I think it got to the point where I was hosting outdoor events just so I could grill up Berg dogs.
     I'd soon learn that Berg's primary market is as the high-end ball-park hot dog vendor. When you go to a baseball game you can often purchase a normal dog or a more expensive (premium) one. Bergs are the premium ones. After I left Fancy-Schmancy, I did a little research and was able to find Bergs in local, better grocery stores. I almost always have a pack in my freezer and I've turned the family whom I cook for onto them. They love 'em.
     (Being a label-reader, I've noticed that Bergs are quite low-fat and are comprised of very wholesome ingredients. I once sent an e-mail to the company's customer relations department in which I heartily complimented them. They never responded. You'd figure that a company would be happy to receive that type of letter and would drop a line of appreciation. Nothing. This is just another example of the sorry state of American customer appreciation.)  
     Be prepared. They're pricey.

No comments:

Post a Comment