Jeremy Gutow is a Cleveland-based male nanny and private chef. He also manages a beauty salon.

Monday, July 22, 2013

A Macaroni And Cheese Sandwich?

     Page One Hundred-Eleven.
     Please indulge me for a moment and let me tell you of a current food fad I just don't get: the concept of turning everything and anything into a sandwich. This morning on TV, I watched a cooking show which taught how to make a macaroni and cheese sandwich with tomato and more cheese. I'm sorry but that doesn't even sound good to me. Clearly, some people must like it, but Lord knows, I'm not one of them.
     The sandwich was a slice of bread with a generous helping of mac 'n cheese placed on. Then, on top of that were a couple slices of tomato. Then a slice of cheese topped by the second piece of bread. The entire mess was then grilled as usual. I think that's one disgusting dinner.
     There's an extremely popular restaurant chain here in Cleveland which makes things like that. I went there soon after a nearby branch opened and was at a loss as to what to order. My friend ordered a lasagne sandwich (on garlic toast). I probably got a basic cheese sandwich or something like that. Don't get me wrong, I love cheese sandwiches and I enjoy the sandwiches concept in general. But, I just can't grasp the pleasurable aspect of eating simple carbs for their own sake, in spite of the fact that I truly love good bread. Or, put another way, in what way is it advantageous to eat a lasagne sandwich when I can order lasagne with garlic toast on the side? How is the meal improved?
     I think that this stuff is "macho food" which America is currently into. We all know those restaurants that dare you to finish some horrifically over-sized meal, and if you do, you get it for free. These sandwiches are an outgrowth of that, I think.  "Let's see how many grams of fat, carbs and calories we can load onto a plate!" And we wonder why we have an obesity problem in America. This isn't the only reason, of course, but I think it's one little element of the problem. These foods simply didn't exist three decades ago. They just didn't. And again, how can people say that any flavor is improved upon?I don't get it. I just don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment