Jeremy Gutow is a Cleveland-based male nanny and private chef. He also manages a beauty salon.

Saturday, July 6, 2013

Am I A Good Nanny?

     Page One Hundred-Four.
     Please forgive me for being in an existential, ontological mood today.
     I moved in with and nannied two little girls (6, 3) April, '82 and stayed until August '83. He was in investments and she was a pediatrician. Job ended because they moved.
     I moved in with three pre-adolescent boys (11, 8, 8) August, '83 and stayed until August '84. Moved back in July, '86 and stayed until July, '93. He was in land development, she was a psychotherapist. Job ended because boys grew up.
     At that point, I'd have promised you that my career with children was over. But life sometimes surprises you.
     I nannied and cooked for two teen girls (14, 10) April, '07 and worked with that family until May, '08. He was in investments and she was a psychotherapist. Job ended because mom finished school and had more time.
     I nannied and cooked for two more teen girls (16, 14) September, '08 and worked with that family until September, '09. He was a physicist, she was a pediatrician. Job ended due to recession.
     I nannied and cooked for two pre-adolescent boys (11, 8) September, '09 and worked regularly with that family until June '12. I still help them occasionally. She's recently booked me to be a live-in nanny this coming October for a couple of days while she's out of town on business. She's a special projects manager. (Divorced dad is a surgeon. I work for mom.) Regular hours ended because her schedule changed.      
     I started nannying and cooking for four spirited kids, (girl, 16; three boys, 10, 8, 6) January, '11. Still there. He's a lawyer, she's an ob/gyn-oncologist. Girl s now away at school. Still cater to the three princes.
     I think that I must be really good with kids. I mean really good. I'm positive that none of the aforementioned parents would give me anything other than a glowing recommendation. We're talking about three doctors (including two pediatricians) and two psychotherapists plus a variety of other careers which solidly indicate the ability to afford high quality. Yet, they all hired me, a guy who's way too artsy-fartsy and rather temperamental.
     All of my child-care jobs have ended for very organic reasons, nothing weird. In fact, of all my various careers, child-care is the only one where I've never quit a job. I've quit beauty salons, I've quit nursing homes and I've quit private elder care but never child-care. I suspect that I really enjoy it and I'm good at tit.  

No comments:

Post a Comment