Jeremy Gutow is a Cleveland-based male nanny and private chef. He also manages a beauty salon.

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Boys Or Girls: Who's Easier

     Page Twelve.
     I've Nannied eight boys and seven girls divided between six families during my adult years. Boys are easier. Now, off course, there are exceptions, but generally I've had closer relationships with the boys.
     When teenaged boys get angry and frustrated they say, "I HATE YOU!!! GET AWAY FROM ME! YOU DID THIS AND YOU DID THAT! JEREMY, WHY ARE YOU SUCH AN ASSHOLE?!?!?"
     When teenaged girls get angry and frustrated they say, "I'm busy."
     Boys are surprisingly more communicative than girls. At least that's been my experience anyhow. Again, there are exceptions, but generally this is what I've encountered. I know this goes against the stereotype of males being non-emotional and non-talkative. But I'm telling you that while boys are screaming and yelling they will in fact say why they are upset. Girls don't scream and yell in real life as much as they do in sit-coms either.
     It goes without saying, but I'll say it anyhow, that a male Nanny is going to throw a difficult to evaluate variable into the equation. How much of the childrens' reactions really is simply because I'm a guy? I'm also a non-traditional guy. These blogs are not being written by the Brady's Alice nor are they being written by "Chachi in Charge." I'm overly creative and overly nurturing, much more so than even the average person with a vagina, let alone one with a penis.
     Also, all of the moms of boys who I've worked for have told me that their boys are picky and emotional. The Shapiro boys took to me INSTANTLY and it wasn't 'till twenty years later that I found out they weren't like that with everybody. The two preteen boys who I recently watched for a few years had a long history of crying at the drop of a hat. And the three princes who I currently attempt to control would scare away Eliot Ness for all their emotional antics. (God help me when they hit puberty.)
     So clearly I'm given boys who are "special' but I'm "special." The six girls on the other hand were mostly very average. So perhaps I'm just seeing particularly nutty boys and they, by definition, will be more communicative. I can only speak from my experience.
     But then again, there are my nieces and nephews too. Of my six hundred nieces and nephews I've had close contact with four nephews and two nieces while they were growing up. And even there I'd say that the boys were mostly more communicative while raging than the girls. I still say that boys will say WHY they're upset more often than girls when in the middle of a tantrum. And if somebody actually listens, which I try to do, they'll be able to get into the brain more effectively.
     I've also primarily dealt with children from somewhat wealthier than average families, including my nieces and nephews. Additionally, the households I've worked for have mostly struck me as reasonably functional, sort of, somewhat, kind of, a little. Does this type of home produce a boy who's more sensitive and communicative? Or, really, is it me? You know, I could ponder these issues for pages. But I'm getting hungry so I'm going to stop and make my breakfast. Bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment