Jeremy Gutow is a Cleveland-based male nanny and private chef. He also manages a beauty salon.

Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Spanky

     Page Fifteen.
     The Shapiro twins, Scoot and Skedaddle, had a best friend, Spanky, who lived down the street. Spanky was a darling blonde boy who may as well have been a fourth son in our house for all the time he spent over. Spanky had an older brother whom I really didn't know but his parents and I were quite friendly.
     When Spanky and the twins were in about the tenth or eleventh grade I received a phone call from his mom. "Jeremy, would you consider staying with Spanky for a couple of weeks, next month, while we go away on a trip?" Seems that Stephanie had already called Lena Shapiro to make sure it would be okay to steal me for a couple of weeks. They'd agreed that I could sleep over Spanky's and tuck him into bed at night no problemo. The only complications on the Shapiro end would be when I had to do my usual things back at their ranch: the family laundry and light house-keeping, both of which they felt could be done anytime during the day; and feeding the boys on Mondays and Thursdays which I could do as usual and simply tow Spanky along.
     Stephanie further explained that I was the "compromise." Spanky didn't think he needed any old, stupid babysitter as he was 16 or 17 years old. Parents disagreed. Gee, I wonder why? So in the middle of the ensuing fight, my name somehow came up as being a possibility. I was a responsible adult(!?!?), which made Parents happy but yet I was somebody whom Spanky was quite fond of and whom he knew he could have fun with. After we made all the arrangements, I realized how much I'd enjoy the extra cash.
     It was a very pleasant two weeks. I'd never been in so many sections of their home before and marveled at their furnishings, art and decor. I also got paid to eat their food and watch their TV. Spanky and I had some quality time together which I still remember fondly. My only boo-boo was on a Sunday afternoon.
     We'd agreed that this particular Sunday would be date night and we planned to go out to a buffet place and chow down. Well, this would be when I'd learn that Mother's Day is the busiest restaurant day of the year. I simply didn't know. We went to a variety of joints only to be told of the 90 minute waits in each. Neither of us were up for that so I cooked and we went out another night before my stay was over.
     Actually, I'll guess we're talking spring of '91 here. So the boys would all have been finishing the tenth grade. I haven't seen Spanky since Scoot's wedding (2006?) But we're friends on Facebook. He's an elementary school teacher now and has a wife and a couple of kids. I think he's very happy. Stephanie and Mick sold the house after he graduated and built something new and contemporary way out east in Aurora, Ohio. I was invited there once for dinner and a tour. Then they sold that and retired to Nantucket. They'd always had a second home there for summertime. But they sold that and bought a compound where they now live year 'round. They were an exceedingly pleasant and charming family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment