Jeremy Gutow is a Cleveland-based male nanny and private chef. He also manages a beauty salon.

Monday, December 31, 2012

On Cleaning A One Hundred Year Old Basement

     Page Seventeen.
     The Shapiros move to Cleveland in 1972. They moved into a large 1914 colonial with much architectural detail. (The Victorian, over-sized leaded glass windows on the landing between floors one and two are what sold Lena on the home.) They've been renovating ever since.
     Their basement has been cleaned, straightened, organized or prayed over three times since moving in: once in the '80's once in the '90's and once in the winter of 2012-13. I'll give you one guess who's done it all three times.
     The first two times it was lots of kid stuff, i.e. games and toys. Those first two times I also lived there. I spent days in the basement just cleaning and organizing. And of course, the moment I was done cleaning, there were all these boys rushing down excited about the prospect of messing it up again. Also, those two times I wasn't really allowed to throw too much stuff out. The general consensus was that old stuff could be sold or given away. Therefore, I really straightened up more than anything else. This time around it's primarily renovation materials. And I'm throwing crud out too!!!
     When I moved out in '93, I left some stuff in their basement because I saw my life as still being somewhat transitional and they didn't mind storing my extra furniture. Lena called me a couple of months ago, October, '12. "We're going to have the basement cleaned and emptied, Jeremy. Would you mind coming by and taking your things?" So, starting the following weekend, I went over and began some indoor archaeology. I took a little home and threw out a little. Within a couple of weeks my remaining pile was miniscule. Lena then informed me that the fellow who was supposed to clean the basement had hurt his back so the whole project was on hold anyhow. I have a little extra time right now so I volunteered for the job.
     Mr. Shapiro and I agreed that we could donate loads of stuff to Habitat for Humanity. I hired a friend to help me and the two of us tightly packed up a U-Haul and drove off to Habitat. They promptly turned us away, saying the stuff was too old. We then drove back home and emptied an entire 14' U-Haul onto the Shapiro tree lawn just to have the Cleveland Heights garbage men remove it all. I tell people that we drove from the Shapiro backyard to the Shapiro front yard via Lakewood, Ohio which is where Habitat is located. It was very frustrating. (If you ever want to donate anything to Habitat for Humanity, I'd suggest you call first and inquire as to whether or not they want it.)
     I'm still in the middle of this project. So far, I've found one mummified mouse. How he got mummified, I don't want to know. The basement is mostly emptied of junk, now it's primarily organizing and cleaning. But, I haven't yet tackled the work room. God help me with that one. Anything might be lurking in sawdust.
     I start my newest paid adventure in February (I'll be managing a beauty salon) so I better get a move on. 
          

No comments:

Post a Comment