Jeremy Gutow is a Cleveland-based male nanny and private chef. He also manages a beauty salon.

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

The O'Malleys

     Page Nine.
     While a teenager, I was not what I'd call a great baby-sitter. I must've done something right though, I sure got the jobs. There was one family in particular, the O'Malleys, who used me a lot, a REAL lot. I won't get into the entire story but I would like to talk about their dog, Irene.
     Irene was a black Labrador and an absolute dear as most Labs are. But she had a lot of nightmares. Very often I would see her start to quiver and gently shake while making soft whining noises when she was asleep. This would sometimes happen over and over in the same evening. I would then go over and as gently as possible wake her up. I'd wake her by softly whispering her name and gently stroking her back. After a moment or two she'd gradually open her eyes, see me, wag her tail and smile. She'd then be fine until the next one. I've always just assumed that they were nightmares, anyhow. She's the only dog I've ever known who did this. And, I've done a lot of dog-sitting over the years, you just don't know.
     The O'Malley home was one screwed up household. I knew it then and I know it today. If the dog was having nightmares just imagine how the four children felt. Two alcoholic parents can do a lot of damage.

No comments:

Post a Comment