Jeremy Gutow is a Cleveland-based male nanny and private chef. He also manages a beauty salon.

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Ode To Cherries

     Page One Hundred-One.
     It's cherry season. I'm categorically not a fan of summer or warm/hot weather, but cherries make it all worthwhile. When I'm dead, I'll be sad because that means that I won't be able to eat cherries anymore.
     My two favorite foods in this world are pepperoni pizza and fresh cherries, sad but true. (I'm a kid at heart. Guess why I'm so good at interacting with and caring for young people?) So, quite frequently during cherry season, I'll have pepperoni pizza with a nice salad for dinner and then for dessert I'll have a bowl of cherries.
     In fact, maybe that's what I'll have tonight for dinner. I think I'll make myself a deep dish pepp pizza. Yessiree Bob. That's sounds just right. I'll go to Alesci's Italian grocery store (one of our local fantastic Italian grocery stores) and pick up the sauce, cheese, pepp and dough. I don't make my own dough. Why bother when I can buy it freshly made at Alesci's for thirty-five cents?  Then I'll bring the whole mess home and assemble.  
     I'll break out my twelve inch cast iron skillet, grease it, dust it with corn meal, then put the dough in and spread. Then, I'll pour on the sauce, toss on the cheese, lovingly place the pepp and bake at 425 for about fifteen minutes or so. Yum, yum, yum. It'll be too good for words.
     If he plays his cards right, perhaps I'll make the new kid, Shem, some of my deep dish pizza sometime. Not tomorrow, though. He likes lasagne, so I'll make him that. And, because it's virtually impossible to make lasagne for one, I'll make a normal amount and then I'm going to join him and we'll sit at the dining room table and eat dinner together like civilized people. We planned it yesterday. He also likes Moose Tracks ice cream... okay fine, twist my arm. 

No comments:

Post a Comment