Jeremy Gutow is a Cleveland-based male nanny and private chef. He also manages a beauty salon.

Sunday, May 11, 2014

Old Friends

     Page Two Hundred Thirty-Five.
     I really enjoy seeing old friends. Blacky was my best college-era friend but we've mostly lost touch over the years. We talked a few years ago after I ran into his sister and she gave me his phone number. I knew he was living in Florida with his wife and 3 kids and that he's doing well. I'd been thinking about him a few weeks ago and went to call him again but couldn't locate the number. By coincidence, I ran into his parents a couple of days ago at the museum. (His mom recognized me before I recognized her. How embarrassing.) They gave me his number again. I hope this one doesn't get lost.
     Then, I recently received a phone call from another college-era friend, Michelle, who said that she and her husband, Mark were coming into town and wanted to get together. We had dinner together last night. It really is great to see people whom I have such and old history with.
     Michelle and Mark are both anesthesiologists who've had to take very early retirement due to the fact that they're both sick physically. They're in their mid-40's and will very likely never be able to work again. Can you believe that? I feel terrible for them. They won't have any financial problems as they've stashed and saved and lived beneath their means for the duration of their respective careers, and also they have no kids. But they're quite limited as to what they can or can't do with their copious levels of free time. Their illnesses restrict their activities tremendously. They'll also relocate to Vancouver from Las Vegas due to the excessive heat, which she can no longer tolerate. They'll likely live averaged length lives, but doing what for the next 30-35 years? 
     When I phone Blacky he'll probably be himself. He's always the same and I know that. Also, if there was any really big news about him or his family, his mom would have told me.
     Funny story about my relationship with Blacky... I'm the person who told him that he was going to be a father the first time. True story.
     It must've been around 1990 or '91 and we'd been friends for 5, 6 or 7 years. I was the staff hairdresser at a local adolescent drug treatment center and by chance he was a counselor there. I was also very good friends with his girlfriend, Maggie, whom I'd met through him. The three of us went out on a Monday night and she told me that she was late and they thought she might be pregnant but weren't sure. So, that Wednesday I came home from school to find a message on my answering machine. "I am", she sobbed. She wasn't sad just nervous. I didn't have time to return her phone call as I was rushing to the treatment center to do hair.
     As I walked into the center, Blacky walked past me and I said, "congratulations". He smiled, said, "thanks", and walked on about his way. I gave a few haircuts and when I was done, went looking for my buddy. I found him sitting, eating dinner. I got some food also, sat down and asked him "what's the plan, now?"
     "What are you talking about?"
     "The baby."
     "What baby?"
     "Maggie's pregnant with your baby."
     "WHAT?!?!"
     "You haven't spoken with her?"
     "No. I've been in meetings all day. I saw she called me a bunch of times, but I haven't had the time to call her back."
     "Well, she called to tell you she was pregnant. Why did you think I said congratulations when I first walked in?"
     "I just figure you were being weird, as usual."
     "I wasn't being weird. I was congratulating you on being a father next spring."
     "Oh. Well, thanks."
     "Oh my God. You're such an idiot."
     Completely true story, I promise. I don't know if he remembers that I'm the one who told him the big news, but with the Lord as my witness, that is how it happened. They got married a few months later. I was one of the groomsmen and walked down the aisle with his sister whom I adored. Some years later he told me that I should've been his best man. That was a very nice thing to say, but I didn't question the fact that Steve was his best man as they'd been very close since kindergarten.
    They're in their upper 40's now, have been married for over 20 years and have the 3 kids. I think they're still very happy, if maybe a touch bored as they've been together since the 7th grade.
     I'm looking forward to getting caught up with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment