Jeremy Gutow is a Cleveland-based male nanny and private chef. He also manages a beauty salon.

Saturday, May 31, 2014

Michael Jackson In Concert - A Review

     Page Two Hundred Forty-Four.
      Now there's talk of an Michael Jackson hologram concert tour?  Is this true? I hope I only heard the newest urban legend. I realize that people are so desperate for him they really would pay to see something like that, but I think it would be creepy and gross. If promoters are going to do something like that, than is a hologram concert tour of, say, Al Jolson far behind? After all, Jolson is considered possibly the greatest entertainer of the 20th century, regardless of genre of era. But why stop there? How about Frank Sinatra, John Lennon or Billie Holiday? I mean, come on. Really people. Just come on.
     I saw MJ live in concert twice. First in '84 at the old Cleveland Browns Stadium on the Victory tour with his brothers and then again in '88 at the old Richfield Coliseum where he performed solo. I suppose that's why I'm able to sleep soundly at night. I simply saw my MJ needs met.
     The '88 concert was the night prior to a mid-term and I did the only logical thing: I brought my books and notes with me and studied at the show. It made perfect sense to me. After all, I knew that he'd have some ridiculous magician as his opening act. He always did. So, during Houdini's act, I studied. (Now there's someone I'd see live in hologram, Harry Houdini.) Everybody sitting around me was staring, too. But as people stared, pointed their fingers and laughed I simply explained my mid-term the next day and they all wished me luck. I'm not making any of this up, either. That Introduction to Mass Communications mid-term would go on to become the first "A" that I'd ever receive on a mid-term or final. So there!!!
     Michael Jackson live in concert - solo, rating: 10/10.
     Victory Tour: 9/10. (Staging and theatrics just a tad too dippy for my taste.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment