Jeremy Gutow is a Cleveland-based male nanny and private chef. He also manages a beauty salon.

Monday, May 5, 2014

Cher, Live In Concert

     Page Two Hundred Thirty-Two.
     I saw Cher in concert recently. It was a memorable evening for a variety of reasons. I've written
previously that Cleveland's Playhouse Square was getting ready for a massive grand redesign with new signs, marquees, archways and lighting. A fireworks-festooned grand unveiling was to take place on Friday evening May 2nd, the same night as Cher's concert at Quicken Loans Arena. Also, the Indians were playing at Progressive Field simultaneously. All three events occurred within 1/2 mile of each other. All day long, local radio and TV was urging people to have multiple contingency plans for driving routes and parking. Brother, they weren't kidding.
     I remember downtown Cleveland in the '80's and '90's. It was a barren wasteland of old, decrepit, rundown buildings and lots of available parking. Those days are long ago. Now, all those buildings have been renovated and turned into upscale housing, offices, restaurants, stores and who knows what else? Subsequently, there's no longer a surplus of parking, darn it. (In the '80's and '90's I used to go dancing, often, at the few but fantastic bars which were down there.) Friday night's traffic and parking problems reminded me of Manhattan. It was incredible. It really felt like I was driving to Madison Square Garden to see her. But knowing downtown as I do and being assertive as I am, I did find a decent spot and while walking to the arena, took a long-cut through Playhouse Square during that party. The new decor really is cool.
     Now about Cher, She's Cher. What more can I say? Who knows if this really will be her final tour
so I just wanted to see her in concert, just this once. There was incredible staging, sets, costumes and so forth. However, she was a little distant and remote for my taste, but that's her reputation. Her opening act was Cyndi Lauper who was just the opposite, very warm and open in spite of no sets or costumes to speak of. If judged separately, Cyndi gets 8/10 and Cher gets 8/10 for completely different reasons. Don't ever miss either one of them in concert if given the opportunity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment