Jeremy Gutow is a Cleveland-based male nanny and private chef. He also manages a beauty salon.

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Quito. Chapter 4. How Do You Know?

     Page Two Hundred Twenty-One.
     So, um, how do you know all this stuff about me and my new powers?", woofed Quito.
     "Well, here it is", responded Judd quickly before his brothers had a chance to tell the story. (Again, he seemed proud to be saying anything remotely interesting.) "A couple of years ago, we all had the same dream on the same night. And even though it's been a few years, it was so intense that we all still remember it. We didn't know we'd had the same dream until we started talking and then we realized..."
     "I was in a very famous New York city dance club from the 1970's named Studio 54", started Judd. "YMCA was blasting and everybody was dancing all over the place. They were really dressed wild too; lots of sequins on their shiny clothing and some people were in crazy costumes. I could barely see through the haze in the air due to the smoke from the smoke machine which also smelled so terrible I thought I 'd gag. Balloons, confetti and colored sprinkles were raining from the ceiling and everything was sparkling from the bright blinking lights. The music, colors and people were all really loud. But I was really there buying groceries for noodle kugel. You know, the noodles, the apricot nectar, cottage cheese, corn flakes... So I was walking around, pushing my yellow grocery cart and buying the food, but it was between rows of people dancing. Suddenly I saw a 6 foot high, shiny, chrome plated, pink wooden handled spatula walking toward me. Then she began talking."
     "Judd, hi. My name is Tarantula, but my friends call me Ran. I want to tell you that one day in the future somebody you know will be slightly burned by a flaming ball from the sky and will then develop cold-fusion powered super powers. The reason he's going to get special powers is so he can protect the children of the Earth from all sorts of hard things like mean teachers, toys and computer games which look cool on TV but you get them home and they're really lame, things which will make them fat, terrible TV shows and movies, stupid songs and unreasonable parents. He's going to be able to fly and have super strength. He's going to have ESP for 5 minutes if he listens to any music by Henry Mancini and he'll be able to conjure up any person who's ever lived, even make believe people for 2 minutes to help him out when the bad guys get him. Except when he gets wet he'll loose all his powers, 'till he dries out. And he'll have other powers too which I'll tell you about later."
     "But because of this, his life will be in danger 'cause the bad guys will always try to destroy him. And they can eliminate his super powers permanently, too. All they have to do is lift his front right paw and put it on his heart and while holding it there say, Oy Rebanish Alelim."
     "Then Ran turned into a blue boutonniere made with hyacinth buds and butterfly wings and flew around. The Hokey-Pokey came on and everybody started doing that dance and then I was suddenly eating chicken fingers dipped into honey mustard sauce. All the confetti and things stopped falling from the ceiling and instead the club was open to the sky and all the stars were really twinkling and sparkling. Then Ran turned into a skunk and walked over to me. I picked her up and her fur was so soft. Then everything turned red and I woke up."
     "And I'm telling you, my brothers and I all talked and discovered that we'd had that exact same dream. So when you showed up this morning with your powers, we weren't surprised." The three brothers looked at Quito. Only the sun's rays shining through the window and brightening the flying, sparkling dust provided any sound." 
     After a quick moment, Quito said, "how do I find the bad guys?"
     "I think they'll find you", said Zachary.
     Continued next week... Chapter 5. Telling William and Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment