Jeremy Gutow is a Cleveland-based male nanny and private chef. He also manages a beauty salon.

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

On Preparing for Thanksgiving Drama

     Page One Hundred Sixty.
     Thanksgiving is in a couple of weeks and here's what I'm required to bring: two sweet potato casseroles (one with reduced marshmallow topping); green beans with almonds; two vegetarian pot pies; my birthday cake (not home-made, separate story); a large mac 'n cheese to feed the masses on Friday afternoon and no drama. We're looking at about two dozen attendees this year - that's down a little because the decision was made not to allow an ex-spouse and some accompanying entourage.
     Don't worry too much about the ex-spouse though. they are invited, with the new significant other, to join us for a formal meal on Friday night. You see, my sister and brother-in-law host a family gathering at their country club every year on the Friday evening of Thanksgiving weekend. And the compromise was made to allow ex-spouse to join us Friday but not Thursday.
     Oh, the drama. I just can't believe that some of this stuff goes on in other families. In other families, the      big dramas are things like: excessive alcohol/drug consumption; screaming and yelling; the bad food; delayed eating; etc. I know those stories, believe me. In my family it's: if she's coming then I'm not; and vice versa. And that includes ex's. Families are just insane. But, we're stuck with them.







No comments:

Post a Comment