Jeremy Gutow is a Cleveland-based male nanny and private chef. He also manages a beauty salon.

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Jersey Boys - A Review

     Page Two Hundred Fifty-Four.
     I saw Jersey Boys the other day. It was everything you've heard. Colorful, musical, splashy, loud, funny, slightly boring and somewhat flat. I think the problem is that everybody has seen the play. When you see a play where the audience has such strong, old, positive associations with the music and indeed stands up during the finale/encore and sings along, no movie experience can compare. That was one of the problems with Momma Mia - the movie also. Half the fun of these performances is playing along with the stage actors.
     I'll tell you my biggest problem with Jersey Boys - the movie, though. I'm a freak for anachronistic detail. If any of the styling in a movie or play is incorrect to the year, I spot it instantly. I noticed some of that in this movie, both with background music, arrangements of centerpiece music, clothing style and hair style. At one point I was truly confused as to when the given scene was supposed to be taking place, the background music was SO incorrect to the year.
     Just for the fun, music and entertainment, go see the movie. But don't expect to be blown away. And if you haven't seen the play, please don't avoid it based upon this movie. Go see it if it's ever performed by your local high school. You'll enjoy it.
Jersey Boys - 6/10. 

No comments:

Post a Comment