Jeremy Gutow is a Cleveland-based male nanny and private chef. He also manages a beauty salon.

Monday, August 12, 2013

On Cooking For One Hundred Poaple

     Page One Hundred-Twenty.
     A couple blogs ago, I wrote about a gathering that I'd be catering this past week. I mentioned that I'd be cooking in a church and how glad I was to have the church kitchen available to me. In that blog, I also mentioned how I could probably cook for one hundred in this kitchen all by myself. But, I added as an afterthought, I don't think I could transport food for one hundred in my car.
     The gathering was about forty-five people so I figured that I'd prepare for fifty. You always want to leave a little left over; rather too much food than not enough, if you know what I mean.
     Oh my Lord!!! Did I overcook or what? I did in fact make enough food for one hundred people. Maybe it's because of my bloodline. Jewish. We're notorious for overcooking, you know. Jews, Italians, Greeks and Arabs; good luck finding an Anorexic anywhere in that bunch. I think my variety was good: lasagne, chicken Paprikash over noodles, three bean salad, green salad and fresh fruit salad. I simply made way too much of everything. Don't get me wrong, the customers truly appreciated it. They loved the food itself and knew that they'd eat it all over the weekend. (The gathering was a pre-wedding memorial for the bride's late grandfather. The family had it the day before the wedding 'cause all the family would be in town. It was the bride's idea.) So all the food would be used to feed the out of town guests. They were positively thrilled actually. I also have to admit that I'm somewhat impressed by my abilities. I can cook for one hundred people, by myself, without freaking out at all. And I really can transport that much food in my car. Who knew?
     The problem was my profit margin should've been/could've been double, literally, what it was. And, I could've spent way less time cooking and preparing. But I'll just chalk it up to experience. This was, after all, my first time doing something of this nature. So, I'll  learn from it. And I know, I'll get a great reference.

No comments:

Post a Comment