Jeremy Gutow is a Cleveland-based male nanny and private chef. He also manages a beauty salon.

Monday, August 19, 2013

Feeding A Fifteen Year Old - Update #3

     Page One Hundred Twenty-Five.
     The kid got back from summer camp a couple weeks ago and immediately started putting up a fuss over the food again. I was under the impression that he was moving straight in with his brother after camp, but apparently there was a short planned interim. So my friend, Deb, said, "do you want me to call Jeremy and have him return and cook until you move?"
     "Yeah."
     So she phoned and asked me to help out again. We made those arrangements. Then Deb called me again a day or two later and said that Shem decided not to move after all and could I help out long-term? I said, "sure". We decided on Monday and Friday evenings as those are what I currently have available. Deb and I met up for coffee so she could complain about him and give me her apartment keys. She then phoned me an hour later, after returning home, and said that he'd decided to move out after all. So I gave her the keys back.
     Deb and I think a couple of different things are going on. How badly does the 19 year old brother really want his little brother living with him and his girlfriend? Also, apparently big brother does drink and Shem doesn't want to be around that at all. Additionally, has Shem realized that he'll miss being taken care of by a maternal female? And finally, how many fifteen year olds do you know can really decide what they want and need? Lord knows they think they can. But they can't. Remember, he doesn't have parents who can say, "sit down, be quiet and listen!!!" So he's just staggering around, directionless, on this issue. I think he's doing the best he can, but he simply can't make up his mind on something so big. He doesn't have the life experience required to securely make an informed decision on something like this.
     So, as of two days ago, he is moving in with his brother and I'm not going to be a part of the scene. We'll see. Maybe yes, maybe no.     
    

No comments:

Post a Comment