Jeremy Gutow is a Cleveland-based male nanny and private chef. He also manages a beauty salon.

Friday, December 27, 2013

Christmas, 2013

     Page One Hundred Seventy-Three.
     A couple of days ago was Christmas. I hope it was pleasant for you. It was nice for me but a little too busy. Being Jewish, I do nothing with family. Instead, I do whatever happens to pop up with friends. This year, a lot popped up.
     Christmas Eve afternoon I made 100 choco-chip cookies from scratch to take to a friend's gathering at 8.30. Then another set of friends had a late-night party that I went to at 10 and stayed a couple of hours.
     Christmas morning I was up at 7 and out at 8. I went and delivered food to the needy and shut-ins. I deliver food every Christmas and Easter as I've been doing for almost fifteen years now. I was finished about 11 or so.
     Then I decided to stop at a local church that was hosting a community Christmas meal and get myself a little something to nosh. I knew almost everybody in the kitchen and figured that I'd just hang out until feeding time. They had other ideas though and put me to work as a server. I left there at 12.30.
     After lunch I went and visited and older Jewish couple whom I used to provide elder-care to. Next month she'll be 94 and in May he'll be 97. I haven't seen them for a while and thought that Christmas day might be a nice day to stop in. I was there at 12.45.
     While visiting the elderly couple, a friend phoned me. Her husband received an unusual gift in the form of a fancy Reuben Sandwich kit which arrived that morning packed on dry ice. Did I want to come and join them for dinner that evening and have a homemade Reuben? Who says no to that?
     So, I left the elderly couple's home at 2, went home, took a nap, took a shower, watched a documentary on Gary Cooper and left my place at 5.45.
     From 6 'till 8 I was eating and thoroughly enjoying Reubens with these friends.
     By 8.15 I was home and in my pajamas. And I was exhausted. But it was a very wonderful Christmas for me.
     Actually, it wore me out a little. But I prefer this over not having anything at all to do. This Christmas was a true illustration to me of my blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment