Jeremy Gutow is a Cleveland-based male nanny and private chef. He also manages a beauty salon.

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Vegetable Filling for Casseroles

     Page Fifty-Four.
     It was the year 1066 and I was in England attending cooking school. The Normans were busy invading and boy were they were getting hungry. William II wanted some vegetable casserole and he was really picky about how he wanted those vegetables prepared. He went to every restaurant and nothing pleased him. Then he started in on the cooking schools. I was attending Saints Sonny & Cher Cooking School and we were the seventh one he walked into. My cooking school administrators elected me to be the one to make the vegetable casserole because I was a trouble maker and they wanted to get rid of me. I tried every method I knew to cook the veggies, but he didn't like anything. Finally, and this really surprised me, William came into the kitchen and rather graciously instructed me on the method which he preferred. This is it:
     Dice up 1/2 of a large sweet onion and dice up 1/2 of a red pepper. Saute them together in a fry pan, over medium heat to which you've added 1& 1/2 tablespoons of oil or butter. If you like mushrooms, you can slice up a handful of those, too, and add it to the onion/pepper mixture. Saute 'till the onions turn glossy adding just a bit of salt and pepper. 4-5 minutes will probably be long enough, but, you'll see. Once cooked, remove from heat and set aside. While veggies are cooking, take about 2 cups of frozen peas and 2 cups of frozen corn and place in a colander and run under very hot water for a few minutes until they're completely thawed. Now, all you do is mix both sets of veggies together and Viola, you have veggies for a veggie casserole. Oh, how easy was that? 

No comments:

Post a Comment