Jeremy Gutow is a Cleveland-based male nanny and private chef. He also manages a beauty salon.

Monday, March 11, 2013

Good Luck Charm? Who Knew?

     Page Forty-Seven.
     On pages 37-39, I talked about my history with learning disabilities. I shared that situation in hopes that it would inspire parents of children who may be experiencing something similar and cause it's an interesting story. Here's an addendum.
     It was '88. I was taking one of my first Communication classes, Introduction to Mass Communications. This is the study of radio, television, movies and magazines. Mass. Comm. bored me to tears. I was much more into Interpersonal Comm. which is, essentially, the study of conversation. Interpersonal would go on to be my major but I was required to take the class in question. It was like Chinese water torture.
     It was finals week and I realized that the night before my Mas Comm final I had tickets to go to a concert. I won't get into this subject deeply now, but I went to a LOT of concerts during the '80's. Most of the big names, I saw. Go ahead... name a major, pop act of the '80's, I probably saw them. The only glaring exceptions would be the Hair Metal Bands. (I wasn't into hair metal at all.) Otherwise, I probably went to fifty or more concerts of  top acts. So the night before my final I was supposed to see Michael Jackson, for the second time.  
     This would've been his Bad Tour. Previously, I attended the Victory Tour in '84. I know all of you are great students out there. I'm sure that any responsible student would say, "Oh well. Michael will just have to wait. After all, a final is a big important thing. We can't take chances with that, now can we? We need to stay home and study so as to get a really good grade and therefore get a nice respectable job. Michael Jackson? Hogwash! A good grade in Introduction to Mass Communications is more important than seeing him perform live." I know that all of you would've said just exactly that. I didn't. I took my books and my notes with me to the concert and began my studying there.
     If memory serves correctly, his opening act was a magician. So, during that portion of the evening I organized my notes. Then during the break before MJ came on I actually did study: the notes and the book. People around me found this amusing for some reason. They asked me about it. I explained the situation. Isn't this how EVERYBODY crams for a final??? Then MJ came on and I took a much needed break. (Thirty minutes of heavily interrupted, low quality studying was far more than enough anyhow.) He sang and danced. He wore a jacket with electric lights built into it while singing Beat It. All in all, he was up to my standards.
     The next morning, I studied a few more minutes, ten? fifteen? I got my very first "A" on any final I would take in college. From this situation I learned that Michael Jackson was my good luck charm. He got me started on a string of "A's" on Communications finals. Thanks, Michael.   

No comments:

Post a Comment