Jeremy Gutow is a Cleveland-based male nanny and private chef. He also manages a beauty salon.

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

On Learning to Make Cinnamon Bread

     Page Forty-Eight.
     One day in about '91, I was sitting in the Shapiro's kitchen trying to figure out what to eat. I wasn't having much luck. Have you ever been there? You know you're hungry, but with the Lord as your witness you just don't know what you're hungry for. So you just sit and hope that some form of food items screams out your name. Well it wasn't happening.
     In walks Skedaddle. He must've been fifteen or so. He looked at me and noticed my disability. "What's wrong with you?"
     "I'm hungry, but I don't know what to eat."
     "Hmm. That is a problem." He proceeded to do whatever it was he'd come into the kitchen for. After a moment or two he said, "I know. How about having some Cinnamon Bread."
     I contemplated that for a long moment. "That's a good idea. I haven't had that in a long time."
     "Good."
     So, innocently enough, I started making my cinnamon bread. I toasted the white bread, spread it with butter and lightly sprinkled on some sugar and then some cinnamon.
     "What are you doing?"
     "What'do'yo mean. I'm making cinnamon toast like you suggested."  
     "You're not making it right.Here lemme show you." With that, he grabbed the sugar and just poured it on. Then, he grabbed the cinnamon and poured it on. "Now, this is how to make Cinnamon Bread."
     "Thish ish good. " I said in between mouth fulls.
     "I told you."
     The next time you make Cinnamon Bread, add WAY too much sugar and cinnamon. It'll be just right.

No comments:

Post a Comment