Jeremy Gutow is a Cleveland-based male nanny and private chef. He also manages a beauty salon.

Monday, January 14, 2013

Ace Ventura Pet Detective

     Page Twenty-Three.
     It must have been 1995 when others first told me that I should be canonized.
     On page twenty-two of this blog, I mentioned that I recently gave a haircut to a very young lady after giving her grandmother and aunt haircuts first. Here's another story about that family.
     I met them in 1986 as hairdresser. The story of how we met is great but that's for another time. By the early 90's they referred to me as a family friend. (Today they refer to me as a close family friend.) At the time, Mom stayed home to watch the kids and Dad was a doc, a rather famous researcher actually.Well, in early '95 Dad was invited to give a speech in Washington D.C. and Mom wanted to go too. This would be the first time that they'd leave the girls alone. Lisa was fifteen and Ann was twelve. (Lisa is the mom of the young lady who's hair I cut and talked about on page twenty-two.) They asked me if I would move in and watch the girls over this long weekend. I was thrilled as I really liked these young ladies and the money would be great.
     The weekend was primarily uneventful, a score you always hope for when leaving your kids with a nanny. (Now-a-days, I do a ton of overnight house-sitting, dog-sitting, cat-sitting and elder-sitting. When I receive the phone calls asking "How's it going" I usually respond, "It's quiet and a little boring, a response you want to hear.") Anyhow, it was a little boring in spite of the fact that I enjoyed these girls. Saturday night, Ann convinced me to rent Ace Ventura-Pet Detective. Lisa had a girl friend over and they didn't join us. So Ann and I popped the corn and watched this movie. Just so you know, my movie taste runs closer to Fellini, Bergman, Godard and Lang. But with God as my witness, I sat through that movie for the sake of this twelve year old girl. Admittedly, I think I even laughed a few times. But Ann was highly entertained which is the most important thing.
    When Parents came home and got caught up to speed on the proceedings, they told me that neither of them was willing to sit through that movie. They knew my cinema taste was close to theirs and they mentioned that I really should be sainted. 
     Lisa and her husband now teach English in South America and Ann is a chemist in NYC. I usually see them when they come home. At least once every couple of years some player reminds everybody else of the time that I sat through that movie. Oy!
     
    



No comments:

Post a Comment