Jeremy Gutow is a Cleveland-based male nanny and private chef. He also manages a beauty salon.

Monday, November 26, 2012

Thanksgiving 2012

     Page two.
     Thanksgiving was last week and as usual I was in charge of bringing the sweet potato casseroles (two), vegetable pot pies for the vegetarians (again, two) the green bean casseroles (you guessed it... two) and pick up my birthday cake from Corbo's Bakery down in Little Italy. Usually, I also have to bring the four gallons of onion soup, but that was cancelled this year due to an unusually excessive menu. To make up for my apparent lack of labor I was instead given the job of also making and bringing large trays of mac 'n' cheese (two) with which to serve Friday lunch to the throngs of out of town family. And, I'm a guest! Those uncles who are pariahs in their families, regardless of the reason, are sooooo lucky. They can just sleep in and watch the Macy's parade.
     This was actually not my most labor intensive Thanksgiving though. About three or four years ago, I had to make all of the above plus I was hired to make an entire Thanksgiving meal for a family who had just dismissed me for cost-cutting reasons. They decided to save money by letting me go from my regular weekly schedule, but they continued to call me occasionally for special occasions. So, on my way to attend my family's Thanksgiving, I stopped by and dropped off: turkey; stuffing; potatoes; green beans and various accoutrement (all made by me and my poor little fingers.) I was about to die. Exhaustion knows no bounds. I'm occasionally amazed at God's creativity when it comes to inventing new and improved ways of causing fatigue.
     But such is the life of someone who makes their living off of food prep or care-giving. You work when they hire you. So I DON"T say no to many jobs. And I'm really quite lucky. I'm virtually self-employed, doing what I love and I make enough (barely) to pay the bills. Another reason to be thankful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment