Jeremy Gutow is a Cleveland-based male nanny and private chef. He also manages a beauty salon.

Monday, August 4, 2014

Having Conversations With Dementia Patients

     Page Two Hundred Seventy-Four.
     Some old work supplies were recently returned to me by a friend who borrowed them a couple of years ago. She's a college instructor who used them to show her art therapy classes different ways to interact and have meaningful conversations with people with moderate to severe dementia from Alzheimer's or any other memory impairment. These books were assembled by me for me when I was in charge of activities for two dementia units in a nearby nursing home.     
     One of the books is nothing but photos of people, places and things which people born prior to 1940 or so would be able to relate to. The worlds of entertainment, politics, sports and current events are all included. I copied the pictures from history books and then assembled them in a binder and used it over and over again for the years that I was on that job. Just showing people the pictures conjured up old, buried memories and subsequently, conversations began. I'd strongly recommend any care-giver to a demented loved one consider creating a similar book. It can help provide hours of stimulating conversation. Of course, it helps if the care-giver has done a little research on the various topics so as to prod the conversation along. 
     These photos are an example of ones in my book. Admittedly, I'm a grand risk-taker. Not all of these pictures would be appropriate for all audiences, but in my racially and religiously integrated nursing home, I used photos quite similar to these with great effect. You know your loved one, I don't. But, you'll be surprised what gets the juices going.





















No comments:

Post a Comment