Jeremy Gutow is a Cleveland-based male nanny and private chef. He also manages a beauty salon.

Friday, February 22, 2013

The Love of a Child

     Page Forty.
     When a kid tells you that he loves you, just say it back, without hesitation.
     One day in about 1989 or so, I came home after a long day of work and was joined by Scoot, one of the Shapiro twins. He must've been fourteen, perhaps. He accompanied me up to my bedroom, probably because he was bored with whatever he'd been doing downstairs. The first thing I always did when arriving home was listen to my answering machine and this day was no different. One of my messages that day was from my friend Meghan. She'd just called to say she was thinking about me and that she loved me. It was a nice, little, unexpected message. Well, Scoot, of course, heard the whole thing as old-fashioned answering machines were loud enough for the whole world to hear, as you may remember.
     "She called to say she loved you? What's that about?"
     "Sometimes people do that. They think about somebody and they just call them and tell them that they love them. It's just a nice thing to do."
     "I love you, Jeremy."
     It took me back a little, then I quickly said, "thank you". But, I've always felt a little remiss for not saying, "I love you, too". Scoot never seemed phased though.
     About a year ago, I was playing with Fauntleroy who would've been seven. In the middle of our activity he spontaneously said, "Jeremy, I love you."
     "I love you too."
     "Really?"
     "Yes." He smiled broadly and then we continued playing.
     Sometimes it doesn't take a lot to make children happy. Just tell them that you love them. It really works.

No comments:

Post a Comment