Jeremy Gutow is a Cleveland-based male nanny and private chef. He also manages a beauty salon.

Friday, February 8, 2013

High Tea

     Page Thirty-Four.
     On page thirty-three, I spoke of the fashion shows at Fancy-Shmancy Nursing Home. Today, I'll talk of the High Teas.
     They started simply enough. I began realizing relatively early on in my employ there that nursing home residents don't get to eat "special food" very often, if at all. By special food I mean: party food, exotic food, unhealthy but scrumptious food, food they've never tried before, food you'd have at a new restaurant... anything out of the ordinary. This was in no way a judgement call on the dietary department, it's simply not possible to realistically give the residents mini quiches, spinach-filled phylo dough or tiramisu on their lunch trays. It cannot be done.
     So sometime in my first year there, I asked my boss to approve a plan whereby I'd go out and by lots of frozen exotica (read: large budget) and then on one of my scheduled Sundays, the afternoon activity would be High Tea. I'd make all the food myself, brew up the tea and serve it. We'd then just enjoy good food together. This activity would be for the highest functioning residents of the home. She approved it and I did it.
     Well, the residents LOVED it. And I did again a few months later and this time a few family members attended. It was more work than you can imagine but everybody, all three dozen attendees, had such a good time it was worth my poor fingers dripping off my bones. Front office had some problems though. They felt it was too exclusive and that I was segregating the residents. If I wanted to do a whole house affair, then fine - do one. But to have an affair such as this but limited to only the highest functioning in the house, well they felt it just reeked of red velvet rope.
     Soooooo, I opened it up to the whole house, all one hundred and fifty residents. Have you ever made heavy hors d'oeuvres for one fifty? I still get nightmares. Actually, I never saw more than about half the house come, but many brought loved ones with them. So, again, back to about one fifty or so. The problem here is that I've never catered in my life. I simply didn't know how to cook for those numbers. I'm sure Martha could do it with both arms tied behind her back and blindfolded. In my case, it was nothing short of miraculous that I got the thing on at all.
     People did help. I didn't know that I was allowed to delegate, but people absolutely helped. Co-workers, residents' family members and volunteers all helped out. Also, I eventually learned that dietary was more than happy to aid. In fact, I ended up putting a certain amount of the food ordering through dietary because they were able to rationalize the budget better than activities. They really surprised me with the diversity they were able to provide.They couldn't necessarily illustrate their capabilities on a daily basis, but on occasions like this they supplemented what I did beautifully. They also would always cook a lighter dinner that night knowing full well that half the house would be full. 
     Once these things really reached their peak I hired musicians to play nice music and often there would be themes. I always covered Mother's Day; my co-workers in activities appreciated that. (It's nice to have big Mother's Day extravaganzas in any nursing home. With me doing high tea it freed my boss up from having to come up with something.) I always decorated the community room and put out the fine linen for the events. I used the nice silver trays and the ladies eventually got into the habit of dressing up a little. The ten or so that I did were sort of a fancy affairs. Our own little Ascot Races, if you will.
     Let me tell you something, putting on events like this requires the cooperation of every single department. I worked so closely with everybody, it was just ridiculous. Making sure the community room is properly cleaned and prepped; making sure the tables and chairs are set out; getting the linens, plates and flatware in place, consulting dietary/menu planning/ordering food; decorating; PR/advertising; arranging transport for the residents; not one single department is exempt. (And I'm doing all these while simultaneously doing my regular job coordinating activities on the two dementia units.) But those residents loved it. They got to be fifty years old again and going to fancy evening affairs. I was so exhausted I wanted to collapse. But it was worth it.     

No comments:

Post a Comment