Jeremy Gutow is a Cleveland-based male nanny and private chef. He also manages a beauty salon.

Friday, October 4, 2013

French Waffles


     Page One Hundred-Forty-Five.
     Do you remember French Waffles? Last night, I was talking with my sister and she reminded me of the French Waffles we used to get at The May Company, here in Cleveland. This was back in the 1960's.
     We'd go shopping with our mother to The May Company department store, and often as a treat we'd go down to the basement where the candy counter, snacks and treats were located. There were all sorts of various chocolates; hot pretzels (of course); cotton candy; caramel corn and French Waffles.
     If you don't know what these things are, let me try to explain. First there was a thin, slightly sweet batter. In retrospect, I think the batter was probably similar to Pizzelle batter but maybe thinner. Then, there was the mold. It was about 5" wide and about 1" deep and the general shape of a rosette window. And, it was on the end of a long handle. The lady behind the counter would dip the mold into the large bowl of batter then immediately plunge it into hot fat where the batter would fry up. After a couple of moments, she'd remove the mold and the hot waffle, which was very crispy, would loosen and slide down onto the counter. She'd then dust it with lots of powdered sugar. Then, we'd crack the waffle into lots of small pieces and shove them anxiously into our waiting,watering mouths.
    I understand that in other parts of the U.S.A. these things can still be found. In fact, on the internet, I can purchase the molds and the ready to mix batter easily. (Then again, on the internet, I can purchase anything, including earthlings and kryptonite, easily.) I could go for a French Waffle right now as a matter of fact. Perhaps one of these days, I'll purchase said supplies off the net and I'll write a blog about my experience making home-made French Waffles.We all know that I'm the type who would.
     Incidentally, this blog is only ten months old and I've already figured out how to add illustrations. Isn't that cool?

No comments:

Post a Comment